"Unbeetable" Recipes for the Holidays
12/02/2014 03:40AM ● Published by Family Features
Everyone has favorite recipes for the holidays, but it's fun to add something new to the tried-and-true repertoire. Here are three delicious ideas made with a surprise ingredient - pickled beets.
Yes, pickled beets. They are the perfect ruby-red color of the season and their tangy-sweetness complements so many other ingredients. Aunt Nellie's makes it easy; just open the jar and get going with one or more of these unexpected seasonal sensations.
A signature cocktail is a memorable way to kick off a holiday celebration. Pickled Beet Martinis - a festive combination of pickled beet liquid, gin and orange liqueur with just a hint of lime - are a perfect choice.
Baby Beet & Tortellini Appetizers made with Aunt Nellie's Baby Whole Pickled Beets are amazing bites of savory flavors. Prosciutto-wrapped tortellini, bite-sized beets and bell peppers create a deliciously simple skewer.
A holiday gift
Mini Beet & Carrot Gift Loaves are flecked with carrots and pickled beets, which not only add flavor, but help keep the spicy loaves moist and tender. They make great gifts, drizzled with snow-white glaze and wrapped with festive ribbons and evergreen sprigs.
For additional recipes and serving suggestions, visit www.auntnellies.com.
Pickled Beet Martini
- 1 cup gin or vodka
- 1/2 cup Aunt Nellie's Pickled Beets liquid
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
- Baby whole pickled beets (for garnish)
- Combine gin or vodka, beet liquid, orange liqueur and fresh lime juice in pitcher. Stir to combine; add ice and stir again. Garnish with lime wedges and beets.
Baby Beet & Tortellini Appetizers
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto or deli ham
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated tortellini, any variety, cooked and cooled
- 2 tablespoons prepared vinaigrette
- 2 medium bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie's Baby Whole Pickled Beets
- Fresh herbs
- Cut prosciutto into 1-inch-by-3-inch strips. Wrap one strip around tortellini; skewer with appetizer pick. Brush lightly with vinaigrette. Add one piece of pepper and one beet to skewer. Repeat until all beets are used. Sprinkle with herbs.
Mini Beet & Carrot Gift Loaves
- 1 jar (16 ounces) Aunt Nellie's Sliced Pickled Beets, drained
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2-2 1/2 teaspoons milk
- Chop beets into 1/4-inch pieces. Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray 4 mini loaf pans or disposable 5-inch-by-3-inch foil pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; stir to mix well. Combine brown sugar and oil in large bowl; mix well. Stir in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture; mix well. Stir in beets, carrots and nuts just until combined. Spoon batter into pans.
- Combine topping ingredients in small bowl; stir until crumbly. Divide evenly over batter.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire rack; cool completely.
- To make glaze, stir together sugar and milk. Drizzle glaze over cooled loaves.
- Store at room temperature up to 3 days. You can also freeze it, unglazed, up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature; then drizzle with glaze.