This Holiday, Be Festive and Fashion Forward
● By Family Features
The holidays are here, but before you leave the house for work or play, make sure you’re looking your best. The good news – almost everything you need to make your holiday season festive, fresh and fashion forward is already in your closet.
Whether you’re off to a family brunch or heading to a ritzy New Year’s Eve bash, the experts from Yahoo Style (www.yahoo.com/style), a new digital magazine lead by editor-in-chief Joe Zee, offer up these stylish tips to look fabulous at any occasion.
Casual Events and Gatherings
While the holidays can definitely be a stressful time, picking out what to wear at casual events should be a breeze. To help you have a casually chic holiday, Yahoo Style offers these five tips:
- Jeans. Start with your favorite pair of blue or black jeans. Opt for a pair with a little bit of stretch in case you want to have an extra helping of dessert.
- Classic blouse. A classic button-down shirt, either something in a crisp white or classic chambray, is a more formal and sophisticated option than a T-shirt.
- Comfy sweater. Get cozy with an oversized or “grandpa” sweater. It adds a warm layer and is the perfect piece for when you’re sitting by the fire. Throw a belt over the sweater for a more slimming effect.
- Sparkle factor. A cool, cuff bracelet or glimmering drop earrings will add the right amount of shimmer.
- Festive footwear. Whether you opt for a high heel or a simple loafer, make sure that it’s a fun hue so you can show your fashion prowess.
Lovely Looks that Go from Day to Night
Chances are your holiday schedule is a bit hectic. Luckily, there are a few ways to look chic from work to play with these tips.
- Casual Denim and Blazer “Suit.” While at the office, pair your jeans with a classic white shirt and loafers to look professional. When getting your party look ready, switch out the shirt for a sparkly top, and those loafers for high heels. Keep the look tidy with a jean in a dark wash, with a slim-fit cut.
- The Little Black Dress. This is an absolute staple due to its versatility. At work, keep it professional by pairing the dress with a cardigan and a sensible pair of black pumps. When it’s time to hit the town, ditch the office pumps for something with a bit of sparkle, and opt for a fun overcoat to look chic in the cold.
- Easy Separates. A great, but often overlooked piece is a bodysuit. It is versatile and can be a great asset when doing a quick change post-office. While some may be too risky to wear at most work settings, throw a sweater over it, and it’s just another layer that keeps you warm. Pair it with a classic pleated black leather skirt for a night look with a bit of rock n’ roll edge. Lose the black tights and swap boots for strappy heels and you’re ready for a night on the town.
Sparkling Looks for New Year’s Eve
While a New Year’s celebration is the one time of year when it’s appropriate to glam up, don’t overdo it and so that you like tinsel.
- Keep It Monochromatic. Don’t wear metallic from head to toe, but do keep it in the same color family by mixing textures, like fuzzy cashmeres, for a sure-fire ensemble.
- Choose a Statement Piece. A pair of gold trousers doesn’t need much more ornamentation. Keep the rest of your outfit simple by pairing a statement pant or skirt with a classic white blouse and black pumps.
- Make Your Feet Sparkle. If you’re opting for an all-black look, a pair of sparkly, strappy sandals or cool oxfords immediately ups the glam factor.
- Jewelry Counts. Sometimes all you need is a bold metal collar necklace or an armful of bangles to make even the most minimal black dress pop.
- It’s All About the Clutch. A slim clutch is the chicest of accessories. Just drop in your phone, keys, lipstick and go.
No matter the celebration or gathering, there’s a perfect look for every holiday occasion you attend this season. For more tips and tricks to look festive and flawless, visit www.yahoo.com/style.