Bake Away the Winter Blues
12/22/2014 03:36AM ● Published by Family Features
When the weather outside turns frightful, baking homemade treats will be so delightful. Whether it's with friends, the kids or even by yourself, making treats is a great way to keep warm and active when snowed in.
Try these tips from Wilton for fun indoor activities during wintry weather:
- Plan ahead. Stock up your pantry ahead of time with baking and decorating supplies, so you'll have what you need during snow days.
- No two snowflakes are alike. It's easy to make a deliciously unique treat. Bake a large brownie or a cake in a Snowflake Tube Pan (see recipe below). Decorate it with icing and marshmallows, sprinkles, candy-coated chocolates or chocolate chips.
- Build tasty snowmen. Instead of getting bundled up to build a snowman outside, make fun snowmen cookies with a two-piece Melted Snowman Cookie Cutter Set (see recipe below). After decorating, enjoy the cookies with a cup of cocoa.
For more fun and tasty winter recipes, baking tips and inspiration, www.wilton.com.
S'mores Snowflake Brownies
- Wilton Snowflake Tube Pan
- 1 box (18 ounces) brownie mix
- Water, oil and eggs to prepare mix
- 4 graham crackers, broken into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare tube pan with vegetable pan spray.
- In large bowl, stir together brownie mix, water, oil and eggs until well combined. Fold in broken graham crackers. Pour into prepared pan and smooth so batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake 24-26 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of brownie comes out nearly clean. Cool in pan on cooling grid 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Let sit 5 minutes; spread over top. Cover with marshmallows. Let chocolate harden before serving.
Spicy Snowman Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Wilton Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
- Wilton Melted Snowman Cookie Cutter Set
- Cookie Icing: White, Black, Orange Brown and Red
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and chili powder.
- In separate large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until combined. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined. Divide dough into 2 balls.
- On floured surface, roll each ball into a circle approximately 12 inches diameter by 1/8 inch thick. Dip cookie cutters in flour before each use. Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake puddle cookies for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Bake hat cookies on separate cookie sheet for 8-9 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on sheet on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on grid.
- Decorate cooled cookies. On puddle cookies, use white cookie icing to outline and fill in. Pipe black icing facial features and buttons, orange icing pull-out dot nose and brown icing arms.
- On hat cookies, use black cookie icing to outline and fill in. Add red cookie icing hatband. Attach hat to main cookie with dot of icing.