Pasta Salad Makes Weeknight Dinner Quick and Healthy
03/09/2015 04:38AM ● Published by Family Features
Now is the time for diners to transition palates to lighter and healthier meals, especially those packed with fresh, satisfying ingredients.
Whether serving dinner at home or heading out to a picnic, Lemony Peas and Pasta Salad is a snap to make, with few steps and minimal preparation time. It’s also packed with colorful fresh vegetables that are back in season once again.
Start by preparing the pasta according to package directions. Dreamfields penne rigate is premium pasta made from durum wheat semolina that has the taste and texture of traditional pasta but with a healthy twist. A one-cup cooked serving provides five grams of fiber and seven grams of protein. While the pasta is in its final minutes of cooking, add two of nature’s wonderful gifts: fresh sugar snap peas and green peas. A dressing of lemon zest and juice whisked into olive oil adds just the right amount of zip when tossed with the drained pasta and peas.
Then, add in crisp young greens such as arugula or spinach – the two can be blended, if desired. Once you’ve added a few shavings of Parmesan cheese on top, it’s ready to serve. Have a taste for fresh herbs with your pasta salad? You can choose anything from chopped mint to chives to parsley, or pick your own favorite to sprinkle on top.
For the best flavor and texture, be sure to prepare the pasta salad on the same day as it is served. This recipe yields enough for the whole family – including vegetarians – to enjoy. It’s an easy way to make life just a little bit healthier.
Dreamfields can be found in the pasta aisle of supermarkets nationwide – just look for the black box. For more information and pasta salad recipes, visit www.dreamfieldsfoods.com.
Lemony Peas & Pasta Salad
- 1 box Dreamfields Penne Rigate
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups baby greens (arugula, spinach or blend)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding sugar snap and green peas during last 3 minutes of cooking; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again. Place in large bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, zest and salt in small bowl. Whisk in oil. Toss with pasta and peas. Gently toss in greens and herbs, if using. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and additional zest, if desired.