Weeknight Meals Just Got Easier
● By Family Features
(Family Features) Don’t let the stress of a hectic schedule interfere with your desire to prepare a wholesome, satisfying meal for your family. A pantry stocked with canned foods is all you need to ensure mealtime success, any day of the week.
“With a well-stocked pantry full of canned ingredients, I know I always have the makings of a nutritious and flavorful meal,” said Kelsey Nixon, host of “Kelsey’s Essentials” on Cooking Channel and Food Network.
Bring to life your family’s favorite recipes with pantry staples such as canned chicken, tomatoes, green beans and broth. Like the home canning process, cans seal in foods’ nutrition, freshness and flavor, making naturally delicious, homemade dishes achievable and easy.
For more information about the canning process, delicious recipes and to learn how you can get cooking with canned foods, visit www.CansGetYouCooking.com.
Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces chopped pancetta (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped?
- 3 cloves garlic, minced?
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves?
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes?
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups ditalini pasta (short tubular pasta)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- In large heavy-bottomed pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown pancetta bits just until they start to crisp, then add onion, garlic and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, and saute until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add canned beans, tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring soup to rapid boil before adding pasta. Reduce to simmer and cook soup covered, stirring occasionally for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is cooked al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and serve with crusty bread.
- Note: You can substitute bacon for pancetta, if desired.
Quinoa Chicken Vegetable Salad
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can chicken breast, drained and flaked
- 1 (8-ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 1 (8.75-ounce) can corn, drained
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In medium saucepan over high heat, heat chicken broth and quinoa to boiling. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, combine cooled quinoa, diced tomatoes, chicken breast, green beans, corn, olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and pepper; toss to mix well.