Boost Back To School Success with These Breakfast Tips
● Published by Family Features
(Family Features) A daily breakfast leads to not only better overall nutrition, but better school performance as well. A simple breakfast at home or school can ensure that your child doesn’t start the day hungry. It also ensures that your child has the nutrients and energy he or she needs during the morning to concentrate on learning.
Research shows that kids who eat a morning meal have better memory, attention and behavior, and score higher on tests.
Eating a nutritious breakfast is a great way for children to be on target to meet their daily needs for key nutrients, like calcium – the bone-building mineral found in milk, cheese or yogurt. Children who don’t eat breakfast also are less likely to get all of the essential nutrients they need each day to thrive.
Dairy and breakfast go hand in hand. Dairy delivers a unique package of nine essential nutrients in a variety of tasty and affordable options, and dairy protein helps supports healthy muscles while keeping young tummies feeling full until the next meal.
With so many types of milk, cheese and yogurt to choose from, it’s easy for every family member to find their favorite way to start the day with a healthy dose of dairy. Try these ideas to boost school success:
- Build a yogurt parfait or whip up a yogurt smoothie, such as this Peach-Mango and Cereal Smoothie.
- Eat pizza for breakfast; it’s sure to put a smile on your kids’ faces.
- Build a breakfast burrito bar so kids can create the breakfast they love. Prepare toppings the night before and in the morning, scramble the eggs and warm the tortillas.
This school year, call on dairy and breakfast to set your kids up for success in the classroom.
And remember that hungry students can’t learn. In fact, milk is the number one most requested item by food bank clients. Through the Great American Milk Drive, you can donate milk to hungry families in your community at www.milklife.com/give.
Find more kid-friendly breakfast tips and recipes at www.MidwestDairy.com.
Peach-Mango and Cereal Smoothie
- 1 container (6 ounces) fat-free peach or pineapple yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole grain cereal
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen sliced peaches or mango chunks
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup ice, if desired
- Peach or pineapple slices, additional mango chunks and additional cereal, if desired
- In blender, place first 5 ingredients. Cover; blend on high speed about 30 seconds or until smooth. To serve, wet the rims of 2 glasses with a peach or pineapple slice, and divide smoothie between glasses. Garnish with mango chunks and whole pieces of cereal on rim of each glass. Serve immediately.