How to Host a Mad Scientist Halloween Party
10/05/2015 04:40AM ● Published by Family Features
Transform your house into Frankenstein’s lab with a few party tricks and Halloween treats. Set the scene with a mad scientist-themed sweets table and carry it home with a crazy good menu featuring frightfully yummy appetizers, mocktails and, of course, treats.
Tricks for Your Treats
- Chili Mac Cup Concoction: Use a regular muffin pan to bake mac and cheese cups – a fun twist on the kids’ favorite. The macaroni cups are the perfect chili topper for a hearty fall favorite.
- Little Monsters Mocktail: Play mixologist with a perfect potion recipe featuring a few easy ingredients: apple juice, club soda and delicious drops of Treatology flavor concentrates in taste-tempting Cinnamon Graham and Creamy Vanilla Custard flavors. Serve up these mad scientist mixtures in food-safe Wilton plastic beakers.
- Candy Corn Craze: Halloween wouldn’t be the same without candy, especially candy corn. Wow guests with your inventive use of the iconic Halloween flavor. Infuse limited edition Candy Corn flavored Candy Melts Candy into cupcake icing.
- The Guest of Horror: You can’t have a mad scientist Halloween party without Frankenstein. This easy buttercream cake makes a big statement, a fantastic centerpiece for your sweets table and will make others green with envy over your decorating skills. The Color Right Performance Color System makes it easy to mix the precise shade of Frankenstein green.
For more Halloween party ideas and inspiration, visit www.wilton.com.
- 6 cups favorite cake recipe or mix
- 4 cups Wilton White Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing (4.5-pound tub)
- Wilton Color Right Performance Color System
- Wilton Black Icing Pouch with Tips
- Wilton Large Candy Eyeballs
- Wilton 6-by-3-inch Round Pan
- Wilton 10-by-16-inch Cooling Grid
- Cake plate
- Wilton Cake Leveler
- Wilton 13-inch Angled Spatula
- Wilton 12-inch Disposable Decorating Bags
- Prepare cake according to box instructions and make two layers using 6-inch round pans. Bake and cool on cooling grid.
- Prepare Spring Green icing using this color tint formula from the Color Right Performance Color System: 4 cups icing + 30 Y + 6 B. Stack layers on cake plate for a two-layer cake, using leveler as needed. Ice cake sides smooth with green icing.
- Use black pouch icing without tip to cover top of cake. Use tip of spatula to create spiral effect. Use black pouch icing with star tip to pipe pull-out bangs around top edge and two hair strands on cake top.
- Prepare a disposable decorating bag with green icing; cut a hole in point of bag the size of tip 3. Attach candy eyeballs with dots of green icing. Pipe green eyelids.
- Use black pouch icing with round tip to pipe dot nose and neck bolts, outline mouth and stitches.
Mac and Cheese Cups with Chili
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces white American cheese, shredded
- 1 package (8 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow pasta, cooked and kept warm
- 2 cans (25 ounces each) chili
- Heat oven to 350$deg;F. Prepare two muffin pans with vegetable pan spray.
- In large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir flour into butter and cook 2 minutes on medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk milk into flour mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses, onion powder, dry mustard and pepper. Stir in cooked pasta.
- Divide evenly into prepared pans. Bake 15 minutes or until bubbly. Cool in pans 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, heat chili according to package directions. Serve each macaroni cup on top of 1/4 cup chili.
- Tip: To make ahead, refrigerate macaroni and cheese cups in muffin pans after baking. When ready to serve, remove from pans and microwave 30-45 seconds each until heated through.
Candy Corn Cupcakes
- 1 package (16.25 ounces) white cake mix
- Egg whites, water, vegetable oil to prepare mix
- 17 drops Wilton Orange Color Right Performance Color
- 3 drops Wilton Yellow Color Right Performance Color
- 1 package (10 ounces) Wilton Limited Edition Candy Corn Candy Melts Candy
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Wilton Imitation Clear Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (about 1/2 pound)
- Candy corn for garnish (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare muffin pans with baking cups.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, egg whites, water and colors with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl; beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly among baking cups, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on cooling grid 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on grid.
- In medium microwave-safe container, combine Candy Corn Candy Melts Candy and heavy cream. Microwave at half (50 percent) power 1 minute. Stir. Microwave on half power in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until melts are almost melted. Stir thoroughly until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.
- In large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add Candy Melts mixture and beat until smooth. Beat in honey and vanilla. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes. Top with candy corn, if using.
Apple Pie Potion
- 1 bottle (1 liter) club soda, chilled
- 5 cups apple juice, chilled
- 7 drops Wilton Treatology Warm Cinnamon Graham Flavor Concentrate
- 3 drops Wilton Treatology Creamy Vanilla Custard Flavor Concentrate
- 4 drops Wilton Yellow Color Right Performance Color
- 1 drop Wilton Blue Color Right Performance Color
- In large pitcher, combine club soda, apple juice, Warm Cinnamon Graham and Vanilla Custard flavors and colors. Whisk until well combined. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve.