Make Detoxing Delicious
02/08/2016 03:32AM ● Published by Family Features
(Family Features) If you’re intimidated by the limitations of a full-fledged detox diet but like the idea of eating clean, you can mix a few delicious detox recipes into a broader healthy eating plan to get some of the same benefits without the sacrifice.
Beyond the fasting and focus on fresh foods, most detox diets are devised to take advantage of the cleansing properties of antioxidants, which help your body process certain foods more easily and may help fight disease.
There are three major types of antioxidants: beta-carotene and vitamins C and E. Many fruits and vegetables are good sources of these antioxidants, especially those that are brightly colored.
For maximum benefit, enjoy these super foods raw or lightly steamed to keep their nutritional content intact. One easy way to boost your antioxidants while on the go is in a super smoothie like one of these:
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries or blueberries)
- 2 tablespoons dried berries, such as cranberries
- Mix in blender until smooth.
- 1 cup mango
- 1 cup fat-free vanilla or coconut yogurt
- 1/2 lime (juice only; reserve wedge for garnish, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- Combine in blender until smooth.