Stand-Out Holiday Side Dishes
By Family Features
During the holidays, the main dish usually steals the spotlight. This year, turn the tables in your own kitchen and make the sides the stars of the show with just a couple everyday ingredients.
Cream and milk are kitchen staples all year long, but they become even more important during the holidays. Whether you are using DairyPure brand Heavy Whipping Cream to prepare delicious and creamy soups and sides – like Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Corn Chowder – or using half & half or milk in your guests’ coffee, they’re perfect and versatile ingredients to always have on-hand. Just make sure to save enough milk for Santa Claus.
The only farm-to-fridge dairy products backed by the exclusive Five-Point Purity Promise, DairyPure creams and milk contain no artificial growth hormones, are tested for antibiotics, are continually quality tested to ensure purity, only come from cows fed a healthy diet and are cold-shipped from your trusted dairy.
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut into large chunks
- 1 1/2 cups DairyPure Heavy Whipping Cream or Half & Half
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In 4-quart saucepan over high heat, heat salted water and potatoes to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Drain well.
- In small saucepan over high heat, heat heavy whipping cream and garlic cloves to boiling. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes, until garlic is just soft.
- In small skillet over medium heat, melt butter; add leek. Cook 5-8 minutes, until leek is tender, stirring occasionally.
- In large bowl, mash potatoes with garlic-cream mixture, leek, salt and pepper until well-blended and smooth.
Creamy Corn Chowder
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups DairyPure Half & Half or Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 can (15 1/4 ounces) corn, drained
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook bacon until just crisp, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve bacon.
- Leave 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in saucepan. Add celery, potatoes, onion and pepper, and cook until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour and paprika; cook 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and salt until mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Stir in half & half (or heavy whipping cream) and corn; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 5-10 minutes, until mixture is heated through.
- To serve, sprinkle each serving with reserved bacon.