Create a Cold-Weather Solution
● By Family Features
(Family Features) While it can be a challenge, there are several ways to pair food and wine appropriately during winter, despite bitter weather.
Just because it’s colder doesn’t mean it’s time to stop enjoying the lively and nuanced flavors of chilled wine. While once only sipped on warm days of summer, rosé, for example, has become a year-round wine to enjoy any time with its crisp and cool strawberry and rhubarb flavors.
A warm, comforting dish, like this Roasted Chicken with Salsa Verde from James Beard award-winning chef Jonathan Waxman, combines well with rosé during the cold season. As the chicken roasts in the oven, it warms the kitchen and fills the house with wonderful aromas, tempting any chef or home cook to steal a sip of wine.
One reasonably priced wine that matches chicken well is Angeline California Rosé of Pinot Noir. The crisp flavors of light red fruits combine with the herbs accompanying the chicken. It’ll also complement the many other flavors of winter, when an array of dishes hit the table and challenge hosts to find the right wine to serve.
For more wines that work well in wintertime, visit angelinewinery.com.
Chicken and Salsa Verde
Recipe courtesy of chef Jonathan Waxman
- 1 fresh free-range organic chicken (4 pounds)
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup capers in salt
- 4 anchovy filets
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped arugula
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped tarragon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat oven to 450° F.
- Wash chicken in hot water. Dry with paper towels.
- Using kitchen shears, cut out backbone of chicken and remove any fat (this can be added to chicken stock). Using heavy chef’s knife, cut out breastbone. Season halves with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place chicken halves, skin side up, on two sizzle platters and dab with olive oil. Cut lemon in half and place 1 half, cut side down, next to chicken on each platter.
- Roast chicken 35 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. When done, remove chicken to platter and pour off excess fat. Cut each breast in half and cut the thigh from the leg. Serve with salsa verde (recipe below) and garnish with roasted lemon.
- Soak capers in cold water 1 hour then drain.
- Soak anchovies in cold water 15 minutes then pat dry and remove bones.
- Using mortar and pestle, smash capers, anchovies and garlic, until smooth, then transfer to large bowl.
- Add all herbs and olive oil.
- Season with sea salt.
Pair each serving with Angeline California Rosé of Pinot Noir.